Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I do NOT like deer!

As many of you know, who know me, I am not a very squeamish person. Probably this comes from 18 years of farm life. Dead sheep, dead cattle and other dead things would occasionally cross my path. One time when I came home from college my Mom had me help her drag a dead ewe (that is a female sheep if you didn't know) out of the barn and onto a trailer. Mom had me pick up the rear end legs and she took the front two legs. Well you know what happens when something is dead for a few days. Well...let's just say the the Lord allows decomposition to happen pretty quick and little miss ewe was not full of sweet smelling gas. You got it...out my direction from her posterior came smells no man (or woman) should ever experience.

Well all that to say I am not that squeamish. So my reason to write about my lack of squeamishness it that I really want to kill some deer with my bare hands. That is right! Ring some deer jerky neck. Watch their "deer in the headlight" look as I come after them with a blunt object.

I went out to show our painter today where my strawberries and blackberry bushes are and I found nibble nibbles everywhere on my strawberries (which were under a net even), my tomato plants and my squash. I HATE DEER!!!!!! I know they are pretty but they cause me so much trouble. Every year I say I am going to hire someone to sit in our attic window and shoot them. My own suburbian deer stand. But I just haven't been able to find a loop hole in Raleigh's hunting laws. Bummer.

Believe it or not I actually have a hunter safety license that I got in Missouri. Have I killed anything???....no. I am embarrassed to say to all you deer hunters out there I have not killed one thing on purpose. There were those few poor squirrels on the road and that really unfortunate doggy about 15 year ago. But no I have not put that hunters safety course to work yet.

Okay enough blabber. I just want to say I am not too squeamish to see a dead deer. I actually took a butchering class in college (another story for another day). I am not scared to see one of these dirty deer die in my backyard. But I confess to all, no matter how big I talk about killing these dumb deer, I just can't pull the trigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment