
It has been a while....
It has been a while since I have written because I have been spending time re-prioritizing my life. This urgency for re-prioritizing came through a Bible Study I just finished by Elizabeth George called "A Woman After God's Own Heart".
I began the study just because I wanted to spend some time with other women and it had been a while since I had done a formal Bible study. Only God knew what He had planned for me through this study.
What am I supposed to be doing as a woman, wife and mother????
I don't know about you ladies but this question has gone through my head many times since I became a Mommy. The Bible has been an answer book for me and a guiding light for 11 years now and I have read about how God has designed us as women and how He has made us to have certain roles. Now, I know contrary to popular belief (the way most of us have been taught) women are exactly the same as men and we should be able to do everything they do. Well, I don't totally have my head in the sand, I do believe women are totally capable of doing almost everything a man can do when it comes to the professional world. I have worked with men and have worked along side of them in the agriculture field. Women can do about anything.
However, I have also learned that when you bring a husband, child and home into the picture all that we have been taught about women and men's roles being equal becomes very confusing and exhausting. Do you ever wonder, "how am I supposed to do everything I am expected to do?" Well you are not the only one. There are many of us. This is why we need to ask ourselves, "what am I supposed to be doing?"
So, I have a question. How many of you are exhausted, and you don't even work away from home? Now ladies, you who have to work, or at this time of your life choose to, or can because you don't have children; are you exhausted? After these past 9 weeks of study I have rethought a woman's role and what we are really supposed to be doing.
Please!!!! This blog entry is not to condemn anyone!!!! Like I said we are all at different points in our lives and we are doing the best we can. I am just sharing what I have been learning. If it helps awesome!!! I just want us all to be challenged to really think about what we are supposed to be doing with our lives. Because I think we were made not to be SO EXHAUSTED!
Okay, so this is what I have learned, and I am really dumbing it down because Joshua is about to wake up and I don't have much more time to do this today.
1. God wants us to have a relationship with Him. He made us! He has a plan for us! He wants us to know that plan. When we know Him and His plan for our lives we stop being so exhausted. (We will be tired, we are Mommies, but I am talking all the time....for years!!!!)
2. God wants us to grow in our relationship with Him through prayer and reading the Bible daily.
3. God wants us to have a heart for our husbands. If we don't have 1 and 2 down, having a heart for our husband (even when you have the best husband - like mine ;) - it is impossible to totally love him and respect him).
4. God wants us to have a heart for our children. This doesn't mean just love them, but knowing how to love them well.
5. God wants us to have a heart for our home. This does not be squeaky clean all the time (come to my house - it never is). It means making it a place your husband comes to rest, you rest, your children know they are safe, and it is an overall stress-free environment. Like I said this doesn't mean perfectly clean, it means that you make it a priority.
6. God wants us to grow in Him. After reading 3, 4 and 5 you may think "yeah right there is no way I can do all that". And YES! you are right, you can't, but growing in your relationship with God can help you have the restful peaceful home and family He has planned for you.
7. God wants us after getting 1 - 6 prioritized to consider serving and helping those outside our homes. Let's face it!!! It is really hard to serve and love other people well, if we can't even do that in our own home. We may be busy at church, community organization, or our jobs doing good and wonderful things but how good are we really doing when our husbands, children and home are suffering? Something to think about.
That was a lot wasn't it? Well that is why it was 9 weeks of study and pondering and rethinking.
This study is also in book form and is well worth your time. It is call "A Woman after God's Own Heart" by Elizabeth George.
One last thing for those of you who are growing in your relationship with Christ. Here is a list Elizabeth gave us to organize our priorities. If a relationships with Christ is a new concept for any of you I would be so excited to share with you this Great, Wonderful and Wise Loving God!
1. Pray over your priorities: "Lord, what is Your will for me at this time in my life
2. Plan through your priorities - "Lord, what must I do today to accomplish Your will?"
3. Prepare a schedule based on your priorities - "Lord, when should I do the things that live out these priorities today?"
4. Proceed to implement your priorities - "Lord, thank You for giving me Your direction for my day."
5. Purpose to check your progress - "Lord, I only have a limited time left in my day. What important tasks do I need to focus on for the remainder of the day?"
6. Prepare for tomorrow - "Lord, how can I better live out Your plan for my life tomorrow?"
7. Praise God at the end of the day - "Lord, thank You for a meaningful day, for a day well spent for I have offered my life and this day to You as a living sacrifice."Well Joshua needs to get up, he is going to sleep the day away...and Mommy needs to get her priorities in order ;)
Hope this encourages someone. Hang in there ladies, you are doing a great job!!!!
This was awesome! I did this study several years ago, even taught it, & reviewing it at every stage of life is so good.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me sad when women fall for the "you can do it all" mentality & forfeit precious time w/their little ones when that time flies by so quickly. Giving husbands & children what's left of energy at the end of a day shortchanges them & leaves moms missing out on so many of the sweet moments that only come around once.
I'm often reminded through Scripture that the relationship w/my husband is a gift from God & needs to be nurtured in every season of life.
Thanks for the encouragement & challenge that you've outlined here. That restful peace that only God can give is what we all long for!